Gabriele di Franco, born in Italy and currentely residing in Brussels is an Italian arranger, composer and guitarist. He has spent a long stretch of his life as a professional musician; performing, recording and collaborating with many artists coming from all over the world.
Composing music at a very young age influenced by jazz and world music, Gabriele quickly gets a grasp of these different concepts and interprets them in his own way. This path brought him to leading his own band BIJA, that has been awarded the price “Band Revelation of the year 2012”. That same year he was also the finalist of the “Tiberio Nicola Award 12” and at the “Jimmy Wood Award”.
Two years later Gabriele and his band released their debut album “BIJA” (Slam).
He also achieved the podium at “International Fara Jazz Contest 2014” and at “International Jazz Competition of Bucharest 2015” with his trio MYNAH and at the “Brussels Jazz Marathon 2016” together with his band Rubiks.
Gabriele graduated in 2014 with a major in Jazz guitar at the Conservatory of Nino Rota (IT) with an additional year of study at the renowned Musik und Kunst Privatunisität der Stadt Wien (AUS) where he was rewarded a Bachelor.
After graduating Gabriele moved to Brussels to attend a Master study in Jazz Composition&Arranging at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels (KCB). Here he studies with mentors such as Kris Defoor.
In 2016 Gabriele recorded his second album “INTRO” (Emme Record Label) with his trio MYNAH and spent a long time on his European tour.
Teaching is also one of Gabriele’s passions. Having taught for many years, he encourages his students to see beyond the music. Showing how improvisational knowledge and technique combined with compositional knowledge is a key asset to being a good musician.
- September 2011-July 2014: Technical coordinator, Jazz/Modern guitar teacher, Music theory teacher and Ensemble teacher ( Laboratori Musicali, (information cachée) - Trepuzzi Italy )
- September 2013 – July 2014: Modern guitar teacher Ragtime Bubu Band, (Lecce - Italy)
- July 2012: assistant of the Guitar Class (Garrison Fewell) – Otranto Jazz Festival 2012
RELEASES AND PUBLICATIONS:
-Coming in 2015 Album: Coming in 2015 the first album of Mynah: "INTRO" (Emme record label)
Gabriele on guitar, Federico Pecoraro on bass, Antonio De Donno on drums
- July 2015 Album: “Essere Terra” – Giovane Orchestra Del Salento
- November 2014 Album: “Bija” – Bija (SLAM production by George Hallam).
Bija is an instrumental trio – between world music and jazz.
Gabriele on guitar and loops, Marco Puzzello on trumpets and Francesco Pellizzari on drums and percussions
- November 2011: L’arte della Musica e del Diritto (The art of Music and Law)
Publication on the “Tufi Law review” deepening the parallel between the musical and juridical interpretation
- a.a. 2015-ongoing Master in Jazz Composition at Koninklijk Conservatorium Brussel (Belgium)
- a.a. 2014-2015: Bachelor of Jazz Guitar at Conservatorio Nino Rota di Monopoli (Italy)
- a.a. 2014-2015: Erasmus experience at Konservatorium Wien Privatuniversität (Austria)
- a.a. 2009-2011: Diploma in Theory, Solfeggio and Music dictation at Conservatorio Tito Schipa di Lecce (Italy)
MASTERCLASSES AND COMPETITIONS:
- May 2015: Finalist with the band Mynah at the "International Jazz Competition of Bucharest" ranked as the 3rd jazz competition in the world
- August 2014 Finalist with the bands Mynah and Mei at the “International Fara Jazz Contest 2014”
- August 2012 Prize “Band revelation of the year 2012” at the “Jazzup Festival” with the trio Bija
Greg Burk, Artistic director
- July 2012 Finalist with the trio Bija at the “Tiberio Nicola Award 12” and “Jimmy Wood Award 12”
- June 2012 First place prize at the “SoundSlices” contest with the trio Bija
Recording of the “Zeroliveradio” compilation
- February 2012 Second place prize at the “Festival internazionale della musica italiana a Bruxelles” with the original composition “Posa Ideale”
- August 2010 Otranto Jazz Festival Masterclass: Garrison Fewell, Guitar professor at Berklee College of Music, Matt Marvuglio, Dean of the Performance Division at Berklee College of Music
- August 2010 Semifinalist at the “Eddie Lang Jazz Contest”
Selection panel consisting also of Umberto Fiorentino and Jim Hall
Masterclass with Umberto Fiorentino and Jim Hall
- July 2009 Tuscia in Jazz Masterclass
Studying with Kurt Rosenwinkel
Performance on the Tuscia in Jazz stage with Tony Monaco (Pat Martino’s hammondist) and Ray Mantilla
- 2009 RockTV School Academy
Job in the Music – How to organize and promote musical events and projects
- 2009 Jazz Workshop with Doctor Behop – Barry Harris
- July 2009 Selected for the European project “I feel European Good”
La Fertè sous Jouarre – Paris (France)
Composition/recording of six tunes and release of the cd/video clip “Caramello” which has been distributed all around Europe
- July 2008 Tuscia in Jazz Masterclass
Kenny Barron, Francisco Mela, Giorgio Rosciglione, Eddy Palermo, Flavio Boltro, Tony Monaco